To the pub and back again…

So after the delights and excesses of New Year in Kent (and once my headache had subsided three days later:)) it seemed like it was time to go and do some exercise. I have a feeling it is 49 days until Kili, or something like that, and I want to seriously panic, but I resolve not to. I resolve instead to read this blog back in about two months time and look back at what an idiot I was to not do enough training. Moreover, and far more importantly, I decide that the hard work really really really starts here.

Most of the Kili training schedules that I have read (and I have read far far more than I have participated in, obviously) say that the hard work needs to start 8 weeks beforehand. So here we are then, seven and a half weeks to go. It is never too late, I hope! The weather is unseasonally cold at the moment (about -2C or 28F daytime temp), but the sun is shining and so I resolve to go for a good walk and get those boots going. As I didn’t really want to drive too far in the conditions, I thought I would walk from the house, and headed over the Ridgeway in the direction of The Bell at Aldworth (see one of my previous posts), just in case I fancied a break when I got there:).

I also decided that as this wouldn’t be the most strenuous of walks that I should carry a pack with me, so I loaded up my backpack with the first heavy thing I saw, which happened to be a big old ghetto-blaster, and set off. I added some water and a few other things, and so I was carrying about 25lbs or so. OK, maybe 20:).

Days don't get much prettier than this.

As I got over towards the Ridgeway the path got icy, and was literally impossible to walk on, but the day was so still it was just wonderful to just breathe the air – this is what walking is all about for me:

a view of the start of The Ridgeway from Blewbury

The path at the top of the Ridgeway was however very much frozen – and so was difficult to walk on:

Conditions underfoot were a little chilly

Eventually I made it all the way to Aldworth, about a 5 mile jaunt:

Approaching Aldworth village from the top of The Ridgeway

And then The Bell Inn was in sight:

Ahhhh, time for a rest then!

So after a couple of very pleasant pints of Old Tyler, it was time to wend my way back to Blewbury. The way back was actually slightly harder than going up, as you had to watch your footing more closely. I also stopped to take a couple more pictures, including this one of a miniature horse:

I really have no idea what this picture is doing here.

So by the time I got back it was about 4.45, approximately 5 or so hours after I left the house. Allowing for two (or was it three) pints in the pub then I did over three hours walking and about 10 miles or so, so I was quite content with that. I even remembered to carry the old ghetto blaster home with me!

So tomorrow the gym is open again, and so I must must go.  Yes, I must, honest. I am really really looking forward to being back at work too, for the first Monday back of the New Year. Which is worse? – I may have ‘Monday Morning Syndrome” coming on – I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes………

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s